Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

The "Girls" are Gone Part 2

So, I'm almost 2 weeks out of my double mastectomy surgery. I am SO ready to get these drains out. For those that do not know, they insert tubes around your breasts on the inside to drain any excess fluid and the tubes come out of your skin on your sides and drain into these ever so pretty bulbs. You then have to empty and measure the fluid twice a day. Yuck! This also means that I have to wear these gorgeous camis and bras with little pockets to hold the drains. Which means, not only do I not have breasts, but I also look lumpy at the same time!

Thanks to Wende and Jason for the loan of my "bed" the oh-so-comfy 1990's recliner! I have finally moved back to my bed at night but the recliner was still the best. I set myself a throne area. I have the remotes of course, books, chapstick, and my iPad. I was pretty out of it for a few days following surgery, but now, I'm feeling much better, just a bit sore still, and itchy!

I've realized that I have a hard time sitting still and recovering. I had to read a post on Facebook last night to remind myself that I am not being lazy, I am recovering. It is hard not to get up and do chores, clean the kitchen, etc. My mom was so good to remind me to take it easy and SIT DOWN!

I was so blessed to have my amazing mom in town for TWO WHOLE WEEKS! She is simply incredible. Laundry, taking care of me, sleeping on the couch so that she could help give me my meds in the night, playing with the grandkids, sewing, making cookies, cleaning the kitchen, and taking care of Stacy. I don't know how she does it all. My heart broke a bit when she left yesterday. I got so used to having her come up for all my rough AC chemos that we both went through withdrawals. The house was a little too quiet this morning. The kids back at school, mom and Stacy gone...just Scott and I here.

So...I am going to compile a list of things I'd like to do that I never make time for anymore while I am taking it easy and recovering.

watercolor painting, crafts, reading, writing, napping...that's a good start. :)

Laura

3 comments:

  1. What a blessing for Moms, friends and excellent doctors. may making art and reading bring more blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing well. Thanks for sharing your story! Take time to heal and recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back over some of your previous posts, as I haven't been here before. What an amazing journey, and what a wonderful support YOU will be able to be to others. You have been blessed to have family and friends to surround you. Keep up your writing as you keep on that road to healing!

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik